-3. Go For A Walk
Walking when the weather’s nice is a super-easy way to keep fit. Enjoy the four seasons outdoors. If you’re short on time, even a 5 minute walk counts – after all, a five minute walk is a five minute walk – and you’re moving. What? You don’t have time for a 5 minute walk, you say. Then do the following:
- Trade your power mower for a push version.
- Park your car at the back of the lot.
- Walk up three floors and take your bathroom break there.
- Sweep the drive or rake the leaves instead of using a leaf-blower.
- Get off the bus a few stops earlier.
- Do some window shopping at the local mall – be sure to hit all the floors.
- Take the stairs every chance you get.
- Sign up for charity walks.
- Crank the music and get your heart rate up the next time you mop or vacuum.
It all adds up. If you walk twice a day for 10 minutes and try a few of these tips, you may find yourself with a low-impact, 30-minute workout easily tucked under your belt.
And while you’re trimming fat calories, keep an eye on boosting fiber. Fiber helps you feel satisfied longer, so while you lighten family favorites, you can easily amp up the fiber by adding a cup of whole wheat flour to your pizza dough, or toss a handful of red bell peppers on the pie.
Don’t forget to lighten the drinks going with that meal. Try switching from high-calorie favorites to diet soda or light beer, or maybe add a spritz of seltzer to your wine.